Company of biologists travel grant
The CoB travel grant supports students and early career scientists with travel to conferences, workshops, research trips and laboratory visits.
The funding is very kindly provided by The Company of Biologists (CoB), a not-for-profit publishing organisation dedicated to supporting and inspiring the biological community. CoB facilitates scientific meetings, provides travel grants and support research societies.
Before you make an application, take some time to check that you meet the eligibility criteria and also read the terms and conditions.
Decisions on travel grant applications are made four times a year after the following deadlines:
- 31 March for travel after 1 May
- 30 June for travel after 1 August
- 30 September for travel after 1 November
- 31 December for travel after 1 February.
Submit your applications as far as possible in advance. If your conference or meeting is in November, you don’t have to wait until 30 September to apply, you can send us your application before the March or June deadlines. And the sooner you apply, the sooner you will know if you will receive a travel grant.
To be eligible for a CoB travel grant:
- you must be a student or early career scientist member of SEB
- you must be in the second consecutive year of membership or pay for a multi-year membership when joining, if you qualify for it
- you must not have received funding from the CoB in the past 12 months
- your research needs to be within SEB's remit. This is restricted to the subject areas that are covered by our activities (animal, plant and cell biology). Research directly related to medicine is precluded as it is better funded than most biological disciplines.
- your travel date must occur at least 1 month after the application deadline for the quarter
- the maximum funding award is £250 for travel within home country and £500 for overseas travel
- only one person per laboratory may apply for funding for overseas travel in each application quarter
- applications from scientists who are presenting at a conference or meeting are looked on more favourably than those who are not presenting
How to apply
To apply for a CoB grant please fill in our online application form.
Please have the following documents (in PDF format) ready to attach with your application:
- two reference letters (one will need to be from your supervisor)
- a letter from your university administration or head of department confirming your student or early career scientist status
As part of the application form you will also need to provide:
- a short justification outlining why you should be awarded the grant
- an abstract on your research or on the presentation that you are intending to give
Terms and Conditions
If your application is successful:
- Claim your award within three months of the award notification date
- Funds can only be used for the meeting/ research trips/ workshop that you applied for
- Grant recipients who claimed their award but did not attend the event will be required to repay the grant in full
- You must acknowledge the SEB in any presentation you give. Download the SEB logo and CoB logo for this purpose.
- After your trip, you must send us electronic copies of your receipts to show how you spent the grant.
- we also require that you write a report of your trip upon your return. Please complete our grant report form and return this to us together with pictures from your trip. Your report may be published in the Travels with My Grant section of the SEB Magazine (website and print).