The Company of Biologists Travel Grants
The Society for Experimental Biology offers travel grants to support Biologists who wish to attend a Conference, a workshop or gain research experience in the UK or abroad. The funding has been kindly offered to the Society by The Company of Biologists which also supports its meetings and offers reduced subscriptions to its journals.
The Company of Biologists is a not-for-profit publishing organisation dedicated to supporting and inspiring the biological community. The Company publishes five specialist peer-reviewed journals: Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open. It offers further support to the biological community by facilitating scientific meetings and communities, providing travel grants for researchers and supporting research societies.
In 2014 a total of £36,614 was awarded in The Company of Biologists grants scheme.
31 March for travel taking place after 1 May
30 June for travel taking place after 1 August
30 September for travel taking place after 1 November
31 December for travel taking place after 1 February
Please note: applications should be submitted as far as possible in advance (i.e. if travelling in November you do not have to wait for the 30 September deadline to apply; you can apply to any of the deadlines before this date: i.e. March or June).
• Applicants must be a Student or Early Career Scientist member of the Society for Experimental Biology (the application form for membership can be found here) and
- Must be in the second consecutive year of membership, or
- Must opt for a multi-year membership when joining - provided they qualify for this
(i.e. Student 3 year /5 year membership; Early career Scientist 3 year/ 5 year)
• Applicants should not have received CoB funding in the past 12 months
• Maximum funding: £250 for home country travel; £500 for overseas travel
• Only one person per laboratory may apply for an overseas visit. For laboratory visits, a letter of support should be included from the host institution
• The Society does not fund applications made retrospectively
• The date of travel must occur at least one month after the closing date of the quarter (see application deadlines above)
• Applications to attend conferences/meetings: applications made by scientists who are presenting at conferences/meetings will be looked on more favourably than those who are not
• Area of research: the SEB only funds applications that are within the Society’s research remit. This is restricted to the subject areas that are covered by the Society’s activities. Research directly related to medicine is precluded as this subject area is better funded than most biological disciplines.
How to apply
Applicants must have the following letters in PDF format, ready to upload with their application:
• two letters of reference (one from your supervisor)
• one status confirmation letter from their head of department
Please note that you will also be asked to provide the following:
• a short justification for proposal outlining why you should be awarded the grant
• an abstract on the research you are undertaking or on the presentation you are intending to give
Click here to apply using the online application form
You will be informed of the outcome of your application approximately one month from the closing date. The decision of the judging panel is final.
Terms and Conditions
• Awards must be claimed no later than 3 months from the date on which you were notified of the award.
• Successful applicants are required to send electronic copies or their receipts upon return from their trip to show how the funds were spent.
• Grant recipients that have claimed the award but did not attend the event will be required to repay the grant in full.
• The support from SEB and COB must be acknowledged in any presentation given. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to request the SEB and CoB logos.
• All successful applicants are required to write a report about their trip upon return. Please download and complete the grant report form and return it to us by email at email@example.com. Please also send us a picture of yourself during your research trip together with the report. We use these reports to make up the 'Travels with My Grant' section of the SEBulletin.