Young Scientists Award
The Young Scientist Award Session (YSAS) is held each year at the SEB Conference.
The session provides the opportunity for postgraduates and post docs, who are within 5 years since completing their PhD, to showcase their talents and is designed to recognise the best young researchers. There are three prizes per section (i.e. Animal-Cell and Plant-Cell). Prizes on offer are as follows:
- 1st Prize: £400
- Runners up: 2 x £100
How To Enter
HOW TO ENTER:
- Submit an abstract online for a relevant session at the SEB Conference. During submission, please tick the box which says "I would like to be considered for YSAS".
- Submit an extended version of that abstract for judging by a panel together with two letters of references (one of which should confirm your status). For more information on preparing the extended abstract see the frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions Young Scientist Award
YOUNG SCIENTIST AWARD FAQS
YSAS application deadlines
Where do I submit my extended abstract and letters of reference?
Can I enter the YSAS only or do I need to submit my work to another session?
Should my extended abstract be based on the abstract submitted for the Annual Conference?
What should be included in the extended abstract?
How will the extended abstracts be judged?
What happens if I am not shortlisted for the YSAS award?
Can I give the same presentation in YSAS and another session?
When will the YSAS presentations take place?
How will the presentation be judged?
When will the YSAS winners be announced?
YSAS APPLICATION DEADLINES
YSAS application will close on 06 March 2023. The application for the Young Scientist Award is a two stage process so applicants will need to provide the SEB with the following information by 20 March 2023 to complete their application:
- Extended version of your submitted abstract (one A4 page max in word document format and must follow our abstract template)
- Two letters of reference, one of which should be from your supervisor or head of department, and should confirm your status as well as support your application.
WHERE DO I SUBMIT MY EXTENDED ABSTRACT AND LETTERS OF REFERENCE?
All extended abstracts and letters of reference must be submitted by 20 March 2023 to Eniola Alalade on [email protected].
CAN I ENTER THE YSAS ONLY OR DO I NEED TO SUBMIT MY WORK TO ANOTHER SESSION?
You can not enter the Young Scientist Award without submitting an abstract to another session running at the Annual Conference. Your abstract can either be submitted for a poster or an oral presentation. Visit the Annual Conference event page for the most up to date information regarding which sessions are taking place in 2023.
SHOULD MY EXTENDED ABSTRACT BE BASED ON THE ABSTRACT SUBMITTED FOR THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE?
Extended abstracts should be based on the abstract you submitted for the Annual Conference. It is the opportunity to showcase and describe your research in more detail to the judging panel.
WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE EXTENDED ABSTRACT?
Please download our abstract template which details how the abstract should be structured and what should be included in the extended abstract.
HOW WILL THE EXTENDED ABSTRACTS BE JUDGED?
The extended abstracts will be judged by a panel of the SEB's Honorary Officers. Extended abstracts will be marked using the below criteria so please ensure your submission takes all these points into consideration.
Scientific content (40 marks)
- Did the introductory sentence(s) clearly outline the nature & scope of the problem?
- Were the aims/questions and/or hypotheses clearly articulated?
- Was the approach clearly described and appropriate for the aims/questions of the research?
- Are the results clearly described and presented?
- Is the statistical analysis appropriate?
- Is a concluding sentence provided?
Significance of research (40 marks)
- How do you rate the quality of the data?
- Does this represent a significant advance in this field?
- Is the significance of the research clearly stated?
Presentation quality of abstract (20 marks)
- Does it conform to the format and style guidelines shown in the abstract template?
- Are the explanations clear and is the progression of information logical?
- Is there a high standard of English expression, style, spelling and grammar?
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM NOT SHORTLISTED FOR THE YSAS AWARD?
You will still have the opportunity to present the oral or poster presentation in the session you have submitted your abstract to.
If you have submitted for a poster presentation, you also have the opportunity to enter the Irene Manton poster prize and you can enter by submitting a PDF version of your poster to [email protected] by 13 March 2023.
SHORTLISTED FINALISTS INFORMATION
All applicants will be contacted in late April 2023 to confirm whether they have been shortlisted for the YSAS award.
CAN I GIVE THE SAME PRESENTATION IN YSAS AND ANOTHER SESSION?
Yes, although you should bear in mind the judging criteria when preparing your YSAS presentation.
WHEN WILL THE YSAS PRESENTATIONS TAKE PLACE?
The YSAS finalists will be emailed to inform them when the presentations will take place .
HOW WILL THE PRESENTATION BE JUDGED?
The presentations will be judged by a small panel of representatives from the SEB. The following criteria will apply:Content (60 marks)
- Introduction (nature & scope of problem clearly & concisely outlined)
- Aims/Questions and/or Hypotheses presented
- Approach & Methodology outlined
- Significance of the research stated
Clarity of presentation (30 marks)
- Delivery (voice projection, engaging audience, professionalism)
- Visual aids (e.g. text large enough, not cluttered)
- Clarity of explanations
Ability to field questions (10 marks)
- Clearly & concisely answering questions raised
WHEN WILL THE YSAS WINNERS BE ANNOUNCED?
The winners of the award will be announced during the Awards dinner on 7 July 2023.
What Happens Next
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- The extended abstracts will be judged and the three best candidates per section will be invited to give a presentation to a panel of judges at the SEB Conference.
- The presentations, based on the extended abstract, will be given at the SEB Conference and a winner and two runners up from each section will be chosen on the basis of those presentations.
- The winners of the award will be announced during the Awards dinner on 7 July 2023.
The 2022 Annual conference will take place in Montpellier social distancing measures will be implemented throughout the venue. Please click here to view the requirements for Montpellier before you travel.