Register for the "Wiki your Science! An Online Edit-a-thon"
We're thrilled to invite our community to join us for "Wiki your Science! An Online Edit-a-thon" taking place on May 31st to June 1st!
Get ready to collaborate, contribute, and make a difference as we come together to expand knowledge and create a better world through this exciting event.
What is an Edit-a-thon?
According to Wikipedia's page, "edit-a-thon is an event where editors of online communities such as Wikipedia [...] edit and improve a specific topic or type of content. The events typically include basic editing training for new editors and may be combined with a more general social meetup."
The SEB edit-a-thon, in collaboration with Wikimedia UK, will follow this format too. We will bring together any SEB member or supporter who would like to join in, provide training on editing or creating Wikipedia pages and/or adding images to Wikimedia Commons, and have a community effort to improve content and imagery.
Our joint aims will be to:
- Demystify Wikipedia and encourage more scientists to become new Wikipedians
- Add and improve pages of biologists from historically marginalised communities to enhance visibility and inclusivity (joining efforts with the Women in Red Project).
- Increase content and images on experimental biology topics lacking on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, respectively.
- Utilise our international community to translate existing pages into different languages to make the content more accessible.
When will it take place?
The SEB edit-a-thon, in collaboration with Wikimedia UK, will be entirely online. There will be two independent half-day sessions:
- Wednesday, 31st May 2023 – 1 pm to 5 pm (UK time)
- Thursday, 1st June 2023 – 9 am to 1 pm (UK time)
This way, we aim to maximise the number of people that can join us, considering our international community and the distinct time zones. You can always join both sessions if you like.
Each session will have the following agenda:
- SEB introduction and housekeeping (5 minutes)
- Inspirational talk with an invited speaker (15 minutes) - meet the speakers
- Icebreak/introductions (10 minutes)
- Worklist introduction (5 minutes)
- Wikipedia editing training (maximum of 1 hour) - meet the facilitators
- Break (10 minutes)
- Time to edit (1h 45 minutes)
- Time to publish (30 minutes)
You can join the sessions at any time. Still, if you need to gain experience with Wikipedia editing, we recommend you join us for the training session, so you can arrive later and leave earlier as you see fit to your schedule.
If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected].
We very much look forward to seeing you there.
The SEB Team