FUNDING FOR EVENTS AND CONFERENCES
SEB funds for small and larger conferences and events organised by SEB members, supporting them in building extraordinary connections with fellow scientists.
FUNDING FOR SMALL CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
If you are organising a scientific conference or event independently or in collaboration with other organisations, SEB members can apply for sponsorship from us to help with the cost of the conference or event.
We assess applications twice a year and the deadlines for applying are:
- 1st March
- 1st November
- The date of the conference or event: The date that the conference or event is taking place must occur at least 2 months after the application deadline (e.g if you are applying for the 1 March deadline, the conference or event must take place on or after the 1 May of that same year, and no sooner than 1 May).
- Scientific topic: The SEB only funds conference or events that are within the Society’s research remit (animal, plant and cell biology and OED). This is restricted to the subject areas that are covered by the Society’s activities. Research directly related to medicine is precluded because this subject area is better funded than most biological disciplines.
- Maximum funding: You can apply for up to £1,000 per in-person conference or event and a maximum of £500 per virtual/online conference, event or webinar.
Please complete the following form to apply for funding.
SEB Members can submit proposals and funding request to organise an SEB satellite event, which normally take place before or after an SEB conference or event (i.e. the SEB Conference). Each of the SEB Sections (animal, plant, cell) is allocated £5,000 each per year for this purpose. Your proposal and funding request for a satellite event can be submitted to the relevant SEB section (animal, plant, cell, EOD).
WHAT IS A SATELLITE EVENT?
An event is defined as a satellite event based on its location, timing, and the overlap of the intended audience with that of an SEB annual conference as follows:
- Location: a satellite event is educational and is usually held in the same location as the SEB annual conference to which it is attached
- Timing of the event: the event needs to take place within four days before or immediately after the conclusion of an SEB annual conference
- Scientific topic: satellite event would be expected to enhance the SEB event. The scientific topic covered by the event should be of interest to the audience of the SEB event. Hence a satellite event will need to provide an introduction to or continuation of the scientific content covered in the SEB annual conference to which it is attached.
- Applicants for satellite funding must be members of the SEB
1 March and 1 November
- SEB Annual Conference: applications for a satellite event attached to the SEB Annual Conference must be made by 1 March in the year prior to the Conference taking place (i.e. the SEB Conference takes place in June/July each year).
- SEB Symposia: applications for satellite events attached to an SEB symposia must be made at least 6 months before the SEB symposia meeting is due to take place.
This funding is very popular so we recommend that you apply as soon as you can.
If you have any queries please contact us by email [email protected].
Applications for satellite events can be made to be organised with the following SEB upcoming Annual conference:
- SEB Conference 2023 (proposals for animal, plant and cell biology are currently being accepted.
TIPS FOR APPLICANTS
To help you maximise your chance of funding as well as guidance on what makes a good satellite event, take a look at our Tips for Applicants.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If your proposal is accepted, a number of Terms and Conditions apply including:
- You will need to work collaboratively with the SEB in organising the meeting as follows:
- You will be the scientific organiser of the event and therefore you will be responsible for organising the scientific programme the SEB will be responsible for organising the logistics of the event including: managing abstract submission, registrations, advertising and publicity, budget management.
- We have restrictions on what the funding can and can’t cover.
- After the event you must also send us a report on the event
Read the full Terms and Conditions. These are also included at the end of the application form
Members can apply for £100 to cover the expenses for an external lecture speaker.
SEB members can apply for up to £200 to cover expenses for an external lecture speaker.
Apply for funding
To apply for funding for a public lecture complete our University Public Lectures - Sponsorship Application Form and return it by email to [email protected]
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you receive a grant for a speaker, you must
- advertise the SEB as a sponsor of the event
- distribute SEB publicity materials in delegate packs
- display SEB publicity materials at the event
- send us pictures of the event with a short report for publication in our member magazine or website.
We can sponsor PhD events in biological departments around the world. You can apply for up to £100 towards the expenses of organising the event, for example, the cost of refreshments.
We sponsor PhD events in biological departments around the world. You can apply for up to £100 towards the expenses of organising the event, for example, the cost of refreshments.
Applicant must be a member of SEB
- Scientific Topic: The SEB only funds applications within our research remit. This is restricted to the subject areas that are covered by our biological sections: animal, plant, cell and EOD. Research directly related to medicine is because as it is better funded than most biological disciplines.
- Event timing: the event needs to take place at least 2 months after the date of the application
HOW TO APPLY
To request sponsorship for your PHD event , complate our PHD Events Sponsorship Application if you have any queries please contact [email protected]
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you recieve a grant from us, SEB requires that you.,
- Advertise the SEB as a sponsor of the event. .
- Distribute SEB publicity materials in delegate packs.
- Display SEB publicity materials at the event.
- Send us pictures of the event together with a short report for publication in our member magazine or website.