Governance Officer at the Society for Experimental Biology
Job Title Governance Officer
Job Type Full time. Part time and job share possible.
Reports to Chief Executive Officer (initially to be reviewed in 6 months)
Location London (initially homebased)
Salary £30,000 to £35,000
About the Society
The Society for Experimental Biology (SEB) is an international membership organisation for those studying, practicing or with an interest in all areas of Experimental Biology. It aims to promote and increase the influence of Experimental Biology and foster cross disciplinary connections within the scientific community. The Society encompasses three scientific sections covering Animal, Plant and Cell biology and has a programme of outreach, education, career building and diversity activities. The Society holds an annual conference and other events serving the needs of the above subjects and publishes 5 scientific journals.
About the Position
We are seeking an experienced Governance Officer to manage and provide secretariat support to named SEB governance committees; tasks will include:
- active management of actions arising from the Council, audit and risk committee, a scientific section committee and the joint sections committee.
- collation and reporting on actions taken for all other governance committees.
The post holder will also manage administrative arrangements for all in person governance meetings. They will be responsible for managing the SEB records (including governance and financial documentation.) They will work with the team to provide secretariat and general administrative support to projects (particularly for governance review processes.)
Other responsibilities include but not are limited to the below:
Committee Administration and follow up.
Directly administer and manage committee meetings and follow up work for the Council, Audit and Risk Committee, a Scientific Section Committee, and the Joint Sections Committee. Duties include but not limited to:
- Planning dates for meetings (yearly plan in advance to be agreed for meetings listed above)
- Booking and management of venue, catering, and accommodation requirements.
- Act as main liaison between the Society and committee members on practical/logistical matters for meetings listed above.
- In liaison with the staff lead and Chair, agree agendas and manage compilation of associated papers.
- Distribute committee papers to a clearly defined timescale and to pre-defined acceptable standards.
- Attend meetings to take accurate minutes within a clearly defined timescale and to pre-defined acceptable standards and distribute to all stakeholders following approval from staff lead and Chair of Committee.
- Monthly follow up with staff lead(s) and Trustee(s) to complete actions agreed at Committee meetings.
The candidate will have experience of and proven success in working across a team to seek, collect and collate comments on documentation, providing a draft in good order for consideration by the CEO and governance committee.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 17th April
The interviews will be virtual and will happen as and when suitable candidates apply
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Kofo Balogun
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV and covering letter explaining your suitability for the post via email to the HR Team. Please note that applications would not be accepted without a covering letter.
The Society takes the security of your data seriously. It has internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties.