Propose a Symposium
- Applicants must be members of the SEB
SEB Members can submit proposals to organise a symposyuim event. A proposal can be submitted to the relevant SEB Section
- Outreach Education and Diversity (OED)
The sections are overseen by the relevant SEB Section Chairs/trustees.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1 October 2023
Applications can be submitted each year on the following deadlines: 1 October proposals must be submitted by 1 October in the year prior to the event taking place. (i.e. proposals for 2024 should be submitted by 1 October 2023).
Applicants for symposium funding must be members of the SEB the scientific topic of the proposed event must be within SEB’s scientific remit.
BENEFITS OF ORGANISING A SYMPOSIUM
- SEB will manage the organisation of the event, including the following:-
- webpage creation includig profiles of the organisers
- managing abstract submissions
- managing and setting up registrations
- advertising and promotion the event
- creating event markerting materials
- creating a symposyuim programme and abstract book
- organising any printed materials for the event
- delegate liason
- budget management.
- Funding of up to £14.000 is available per symposium
- Frequency: SEB Sections run a symposia every two years with the Animal Biology and OED Section running in even years (i.e. 2024, 2026) and Cell and Plant Biology in odd years (i.e. 2023, 2025).
We aim to inform you of the outcome of your application within 1 month of the application deadline.
QUESTIONS AND QUERIES
If you have any queries please contact us by email [email protected].
Click on the button below to download the symposium proposal form
Complete the form with your proposed symposium proposal details
Email the completed form to [email protected]
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If your proposal is accepted, a number of Terms and Conditions apply.
You will need to work collaboratively with the SEB in organising the meeting as follows:
You will be the scientific organiser of the event and therefore you will be responsible for organising the scientific programme
The SEB will be responsible for organising the logistics of the event, including managing abstract submission, registrations, advertising and publicity, budget management.
We have restrictions on what the funding can and can’t cover
organising the event
You will need to work collaboratively with the SEB in organising the event as follows:
- As the scientific organiser of the event you will be responsible for organising the scientific programme
- The SEB will be responsible for organising the logistics of the event including: managing abstract submission, registrations, advertising and publicity, budget management.
In order to regulate how SEB funds are spent in relation to events, the organiser(s) agree to abide by the funding expenditure regulations below:
Funding expenditure will be managed by the SEB with input from the scientific event organiser
The event budget will be managed by the SEB
The funds must be used effectively and economically and the expenses must be fundamental to the achievement of the aims and objectives of the event as laid out in the funding application.
SEB funding must contribute directly to the costs of the event for which the funds were awarded.
Eligible and non-eligible expenses are detailed below
venue hire costs
printing costs associated with marketing or publicity for the event
hire of poster boards
Student/ Early Career Scientist travel grant awards
awards for best presentations (poster/talk)
The list is not exclusive and other expenses may be granted with prior approval from the SEB office.
Non Eligible Expenses
travel and subsistence costs (including meals and accommodation) of the organising committee and associated research personnel
passport and immigration fees
the purchase of equipment or machinery
AFTER THE EVENT
Within 2 months after the event takes place you will need to provide us with the following:
a event report of no more than 500 words, including pictures of the event, summarising the science presented at the event and any highlights.
highlights of thr report will be published on our website and could be published in the SEB Magazine