Funding for Satellite Meetings
SEB Members can submit proposals and funding request to organise an SEB satellite meeting, which would take place before or after an SEB meeting (i.e. the SEB Annual Meeting). Each of the SEB Sections (animal, plant, cell and SEB+) is allocated £5,000 each per year for this purpose. Your proposal and funding request for a satellite meeting can be submitted to the relevant SEB section (animal, plant, cell, SEB+).
WHAT IS A SATELLITE MEETING?
A meeting is defined as a satellite meeting based on its location, timing, and the overlap of the intended audience with that of an SEB meeting as follows:
- Location: a satellite meeting is educational and is usually held in the same location as the SEB meeting to which it is attached
- Timing of the meeting: the meeting needs to take place within two days before or immediately after the conclusion of an SEB meeting
- Scientific topic: satellite meetings would be expected to enhance the SEB meeting. The scientific topic covered by the meeting should be of interest to the audience of the SEB meeting. Hence a satellite meeting will need to provide an introduction to or continuation of the scientific content covered in the SEB meeting to which it is attached.
- Applicants for satellite funding must be members of the SEB
- the scientific topic of the proposed meeting must provide an introduction to or a continuation of the science covered at the SEB Meeting to which it is attached
We assess applications twice a year and the deadlines are 1 March and 1 November.
- SEB Annual Meeting: applications for a satellite meeting attached to the SEB Annual Meeting must be made either on 1 March or 1 November in the year prior to the Annual Meeting taking place (i.e. the SEB Annual Meeting takes place in June/July each year).
- SEB Symposia: applications for satellite meetings attached to an SEB symposia must be made at least 6 months before the SEB symposia meeting is due to take place.
This funding is very popular so we recommend that you apply as soon as you can.
PROPOSE A MEETING AND APPLY FOR FUNDING
To apply for satellite funding, complete a Satellite Meeting Funding Application Form and submit it by email email@example.com.
Applications for satellite meetings can be made to be organised with the following SEB upcoming Annual Meetings:
- SEB Gothenburg 2017 (proposals for plant, cell and SEB+ satellite meetings are currently accepted)
Tips for Applicants
To help you maximise your chance of funding as well as guidance on what makes a good satellite meeting, take a look at our Tips for Applicants.
Terms and Conditions
If your proposal is accepted, a number of Terms and Conditions apply including:
- You will need to work collaboratively with the SEB in organising the meeting as follows:
- You will be the scientific organiser of the meeting and therefore you will be responsible for organising the scientific programme
- the SEB will be responsible for organising the logistics of the meeting including: managing abstract submission, registrations, advertising and publicity, budget management.
- We have regulations on what our funding can and can’t cover.
- After the meeting you must also send us a report on the conference
Read the full Terms and Conditions. These are also attached at the end of the application form.